Monday, July 25, 2016

America's "Doughboys"-- Part 1: A World War I Term

From Wikipedia.

Well, we found out in the last several posts, that the name "Doughboy" did not have anything to with the growing fondness of doughnuts that hit our soldiers during World War I.  I always figured it was because of the brownish color of their uniforms (although I always think of dough as being more whitish).

According to Wikipedia, Doughboy is an informal member of the United States Army and Marine Corps.  It especially applies to members of the American Expeditionary Army during World War I.

A popular mass-produced sculpture that was erected in front of many courthouses by a thankful public after they "boys" returned after the war in the 1920s was called "The Spirit of the American Doughboy."  There is one in front of the Wayne County Courthouse in Goldsboro, North Carolina.

However, it was initially used during the Mexican War 1846-1848.

Dough Me.  --Cooter

No comments: