Thursday, August 30, 2012

Presentation Tonight on the Puppet Bar and Fox Lake Resorts

The Fox Lake/Grant Township Historical Society is having a meeting at the new Fox Lake, Illinois, library tonight.  The new building just opened and I look forward to going into it for the first time.

But, even better, a power point presentation is being given on the famous Puppet Bar (Eagle Point Park) and other Chain of Lakes resorts and bars.  As you might figure, it got its name from around fifty-sixty puppets which came to life when one certain song was played on the jukebox.

The Puppet Bar was one of the big draws on the Chain of Lakes when I started deejaying there in 1983 and I continued until it closed around 1988.  We had a blast there.  Sadly, I had heard that all the puppets had been destroyed, but three evidently were saved and they will be on display tonight.

I will be bringing along my cassette tape of the song that set them in motion (via a lot of toggle switches) "Mr. Puppet Polka."  Plus, I have the second "Horse" that folks used to ride around on when I played Glenn Campbell's "William Tell Overture."

Should be a real trip back.

Good Times at the Old Puppet.  --DaCoot

No comments: