Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Brief History of Television-- Part 1: Me and My TV

From the June 22, 2009, Time Magazine.

This was brought about because of the switch to digital TV from analog which was delayed because some 3 million Americans were not ready for it, though they had been hearing about it for over a year.

For myself, I'm still an analog guy, but since we have cable, we're ok.  Every set is analog, but I am anxiously anticipating break downs with them so I can get those large, flat screens.  I'm not getting one until that happens, although I'm thinking about moving the downstairs 1983 model Zenith console to another part of the basement to play my VHS cassettes.  Then I can get a 50-55-inch in its place.

Still thinking about it though.

Early 1920s:  It had doors.  TVs were blurry and flickering.

1930s:  Still fuzzy, but technology improved.

TV was still a rarity for most people until after World War II in 1945.

1954:  Color television began taking off  (We didn't get color until the late 60s.  That was due to my parents.)

1960:  87% of US homes had a TV.  And most families just had ONE!!  We have six now.

1972:  Color TVs outsell Black and Whites.

1980s:  Lots and lots of cable channels.  And, I remember saying I WOULD NEVER PAY for my TV.  When we moved out to Spring Grove on '92 and didn't have cable, I was on the phone demanding my MTV, back when I liked it.

Flat Screen:  42% of TV stations were digital as of June 2009.

Still Technologically Impaired.  --Cooter

No comments: