Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Most Memorable TV Moment--Part 1: The Kennedy Assassination

The big two events were the JFK assassination and funeral and 9-11.

I was in 7th grade at Winston Park Jr. High in Palatine, Illinois, when President Kennedy was assassinated.  I remember hearing about it over the intercom and many of the girls crying.  We all were excited to be let out of school because of it and to have several days off.

But, we weren't happy to find that all five of our Chicagoland TV stations had nothing but coverage on the event.  I was watching when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald.

The funeral was the part that got me the most.  It still sends shivers up my spine when I hear those muffled drums and everyone crying.  And then, there was that salute from John, Jr..

A Sad  Time. 

No comments: