Friday, August 31, 2012

Not So Much Puppet Bar, But Really Interesting Anyway-- Part 1

We did go to the presentation last night at the new Fox Lake, Illinois, Library and were disappointed that very little was said about the old place, also called Eagle Point Park.  It turned out that the power pooint was on the whole area, but we found that interesting as well.

Liz brought along her jacket which Mucci (who ran the Log Cabin Bar on US-12) had stitched for her and I had the cassette tape with the "Mr. Puppet Polka" song on it (when it played, the puppets came to life) and the second "Horse."

But, what took the show, were the four puppets that had been rescued from the old bar before it was torn down by a neighbor.  This was the big reason I was there (but I would have been anyway as I go to most historical society meetings).  This is a chance to see part of my past that I thought was lost forever.

I deejayed there from 1983 to the time it closed (1989, I think) and became Krystal's Oyster Bar and I played there for awhile as well.  During summers, I essentially played Thursday to Sunday.  Drank a lot of beer (it's where I had my first Corona), ate a lot of food (half pound burgers and the Saturday all-you-can-eat shrimp, crablegs and ribs for $9.95), and had a real lot of fun.

Gone, But Never Forgotten.  --Cooter

No comments: