Thursday, August 23, 2012

My Most Memorable TV Moment-- Part 2: Listening to 9-11 on the Radio

The number one selection in the survey was 9-11.  For me, at first, it was not a TV moment.  I was teaching first hour social studies to 7th graders at John T. Magee Middle School in Round Lake, Illinois.  After  class, a  teacher came down and quietly told me about the attack.

I immediately got my old 13-inch black and white TV set out and turned it on.  Reception at Magee was usually bad and today there just was no reception.  We had just gotten computers in the room, but I really didn't know how to use it.  I did manage to get it on, but could not connect to any website.

So, my kids and I just listened to it on the radio.  And, that was it for the rest of the day, except from time to time I would talk about it.  We located Washington, DC, New York City and Pennsylvania as well as the Middle East.

During the team meeting we watched the events unfolding on the computer (the team leader was a computer fanatic and knew how to get it on).

The first regular TV chance to watch I had was at Freddie's Roadhouse in Fox Lake.  There was a full house, but not a lot of talking as everyone was watching the TV.

Still Remember Those Burning Buildings Against That Beautiful Blue Sky.  --Cooter

No comments: