Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Typing Through Time


From the Jan.5-11 American Profile "Typewriter Repairman" by Marti Attoun.

An article about Anthony Casillo. I swore I would always use my typewriter and never these 'puters, but now I'm not even sure where that old typewriter is. So it goes. But I did find the "Typing through time" sidebar interesting. "Although writing machines were invented in the early 1700s, the first practical typewriter was patented in 1868.

Working in a machine shop in Milwaukee, Wis., Christopher Latham Sholes and his colleagues perfected the typewriter and arranged the lettered keys as they are today.

In 1874, E. Remington & Sons, a firearms and sewing machine manufacturer in Llion, NY, began producing Sholes & Glidden typewriters.

In the 1980s, computers with memories and editing capabilities began to replace the typewriter."

I must admit, the computers are much easier to correct than the old way. How about a company that produces fire arms, sewing machines and typewriters?

I've Seen One Person Playing NTN Using the Name QWERTY. Wonder Where He Got That? --DaCoot

No comments: