Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Short History of the Winter Olympics

From Wikipedia. //// There was a Winter Olympics in the Jan-Feb AARP Bulletin which I will later give you, but no mention of when it began. Plus, I have been seeing a lot of commercials for it on NBC, who evidently is carrying it. //// I was sure it wasn't part of the Olympics back during the time of The Greeks or even when it started up again in the late 1890s. //// The Winter Olympics started in 1924 and were first held in France. Original competitions were in Alpine and cross country skiing, figure and speed skating, ice hockey, Nordic combined and ski jumping. //// It was held until 1936 and after that was interrupted by World War II. It started again in 1948. There is a bit of interesting history of it in World War II and I'll write about that in my World War II blog today. Until 1992, it was held the same year as the summer Olympics. //// --Cooter

No comments: