Friday, January 10, 2014

Michigan's Role in World War I-- Part 1


From the Dec. 24, 2013, Michigan Observer & Eccentric "Grassroots efforts focus on Michigan's role in World War I" by Sue Mason.

What with this year's 100th anniversary of the start of the War to End All Wars (and upcoming 2017 anniversary of the United Staes' entry into it), I'll be writing about it here in this blog. I'm hoping not to begin an eighth blog in 2017.

Dennis Skupinski of Ann Arbor is looking to get people to help him observe the 100th anniversary of World War I in 2014. He is especially interested in the U.S. entrance and Michigan's role. The Michigan Historical Society likes the idea, but is waiting for the governor's approval.

His interest in the war stems back to the 1960s when he was 14 when his uncle was cleaning out his late father-in-law's house so he could rent it and was getting rid of some stuff. Skupinski got the stuff, including a book "The History of the 116th Regiment of Engineers (Railway)" about Detroit's only all volunteer regiment of World War I, printed in 1939. He also received a soldier's tunic, helmet, gas mask and other items.

World War I. --Cooter

No comments: