Friday, November 4, 2011

Grant Wood's World War I Connection-- Part 2

I got to wondering if the drawing of Earl Sullivan was done overseas in Europe during the war. So, I looked up Grant Wood in several sources. There wasn't a lot on his World War I service and a bit of confusion.

From Mr. Burgher's Art Facts:

Grant Wood was in the Army during WW I and used his art skills to paint camouflage on tanks.

After the war, he found his "Midwestern Style" while in Germany overseeing a stained glass window project for the American Legion. While there, he saw art works revolving around the idea of common life in Germany. Artists painted what they knew and where they lived.


FROM THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY:

In World War I, Grant Wood served in Washington, DC, where he made clay models of field gun positions and helped camouflage artillery pieces. (This would be in keeping with his artistic tendencies.)

He went to Europe in 1823 and spent most of his 14 months there in Paris.

More to Come. --DaCoot

No comments: