Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Day in the Life: July 24, 1896-- Part 1

That would be 115 years ago. Written by my great grandfather, David Maybury Prince, after he wrote what had happened the year before. On this shorter account, he wrote about what he had done that day. A real slice of life.

HOW I SPENT THE DAY JULY 24, 1896

Arose a little earlier than usual and cut up the grass in the front walk. This gave me a great appetite and I enjoyed breakfast. After breakfast I went over to the School Building and got some stationery to send to our home people. Mailed some letters and then made a bottom for a slop tub and then painted it.

Enjoyed some grapes Minnie bought, then ate a fine diner.

Minnie and I lay down in Claude's room, it was cooler than ours, and spent a very pleasant hour or more talking of our marriage and of the happiness and trials of the last year.

We got up and ate the last of the four melons Minnie's Father had sent her.

More to Come.

No comments: