Monday, April 11, 2011

USS North Carolina's 70th Anniversary-- Part 1

From the April 7th WWAY 3, ABC, Wilmington, NC.

A grand tour was given of the battleship USS North Carolina moored in Wilmington, North Carolina, in honor of the vessel's 70th anniversary and its 50th of its arrival in the port city.

There are 250 former crew members of the ship still living and 20 came for the celebration.

Said Ernest Kisperd, "I was assigned to the USS North Carolina right out of boot camp in Newport, Rhode Island" on December 23, 1940 and served 22 years in the Navy, 5 on the North Carolina.

He tries to drive from Missouri once a year to visit his former ship.

"Everybody I knew, they've all passed away or kind of old to travel, but every time I come visit the ship, I enjoy myself."

The Showboat!! --Cooter

No comments: