Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Need to Mention the Firing on Fort Sumter

One hundred and fifty years ago today, Confederates at Charleston Harbor opened fire on Union Fort Sumter and the Civil War was on.

It was sad that it had to happen, but was inevitable as long as the system of slavery existed in the south. It was tried in the north, but didn't work.

It was this war that got me interested in history, and that has had a major impact on my life. It is why I am so interested in history. It is why I taught social studies for 33 years. It is why I have four blogs. This one is specifically dealing with history, especially World War II.

I also have blogs on the Civil War, old roads and old music. Between research and two-finger typing, I spend way more time on them than I should.

But, I really enjoy it. Especially now that we have the internet. It's like having the biggest library in the world right here in my basement. And it sure is faster to get the information than trudging around the stacks as I used to do.

No Fort Sumter and Who Knows the Course of My Life. --Cooter

No comments: