Monday, April 18, 2011

Smithsonian Readers Pick Five Most Important Events of the Last 40 Years-- Part 1

From the July/August Smithsonian Magazine.

For the magazine's 40th anniversary, they asked readers to pick their top five most important events of those 40 years. These are the top vote-getters of the first 100 to submit their choices and selected comments. My thoughts in parentheses.


1. THE INTERNET-- "The internet has not only changed the way we research things, but for better or worse has created a society of low-attention-span human beings." --Laura Shadle, St. Cloud, Florida. (I wish I didn't spend so much time on my four dumb blogs. Darn you, internet.)


2. SEPTEMBER 11TH-- The day is "forever ingrained in the national and global psyche, and the events of that day continue to impact our lives." --Donna Vinson, Walanae, Hawaii. (No kidding, I remember if every time I check in at the airport and have a few choice words to say to Osama and his ilk.)



3. FALL OF THE BERLIN WALL-- "It indicated that the world can change, and that is hopeful to our current times." --Toni Nelson, Wimberley, Texas. (I never thought it would come down. I grew up with the Cold War and never thought it would end either.)

More to Come. --Cooter

No comments: