Friday, April 8, 2011

Dead Page: "Blue Jeans On"-- Internet-- Super Glue-- Old-Time Blues

MEL MCDANIEL, 68

Husky-voiced country songwriter-singer from Oklahoma died March 31st. He had hits with "Louisiana Saturday Night" in 1981 (which always got folks up on the dance floor and yelling when I played it while deejaying), "Stand Up" and "Big Ole Brew." His only #1 hit was 1985's "Baby Got Her Blue Jeans On."


PAUL BARAN, 84

Died March 27th and played a key role in the development of the internet. Boy, I sure love my internet. All that information right at my fingertips and that fast.


HARRY COOVER, 94

Creator of Super Glue. Cyanoucrylate was first discovered in 1942 during search for materials to make plastic gun sights for World War II. However, the stuff stuck to everything so it was rejected. Mr. Coover thought, why not glue.

Unfortunately, about the only thing I've ever been able to glue with it are my fingers. It does a real good job gluing those.


PINETOP PERKINS, 97

Born in 1913 in Belzoni, Mississippi and was in his 50s when he joined the Muddy Waters Band to begin his blues career. Played up until this year. More fun than a piano should have.

No comments: