Saturday, July 27, 2013

Twenty Crucial Elvis Cuts-- Part 1

From the July 9, 2013, USA Today "20 musical gems in the King's crown" by Jerry Shriver.

An interesting list, some I figured would be on it, some I didn't, even a couple I don't remember ever hearing.  Shriver made comments to all of them and I have included parts of some of them.  ?= I haven't heard this song.


1.  1954: "THAT'S ALL RIGHT" -- By all acccounts, the song sort of fell together when Elvis and bandmates banged around the studio, but producer Sam Phillips knew thunder when he heard it.

2.  1955: "BABY, LET'S PLAY HOUSE-- ?--Elvis pants out "Baby" fifteen times in the opening chorus and when he said the "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man" line it was later taken by John Lennon.

3.  "MYSTERY TRAIN"  Elvis uses a slightly hiccuppy vocal affectation on part of this.

4.  1956:  "HEARTBREAK HOTEL"--    What a lineup: Guitarists Scotty Moore and Chet Atkins, drummer Bill Black, drummer D.J. Fontana and pianist Floyd Cramer.  (One of my three favorite Elvis songs.)

5.  HOUND DOG"--  Elvis was really gyrating up there.

6.  "LOVE ME TENDER"--  Based on Civil War ballad "Aura Lee."

7.  1957:  "(THERE'LL BE) PEACE IN THE VALLEY"--  As if Elvis had been singing gospel all his life.

Elvis, the King.  --Cooter

No comments: