Thursday, July 11, 2013

Elvis' Best Friend-- Part 4: Da Beatles Meet Da Elvis


Now that we have the date figured out, August 27, 1965, we can continue with the story.

Elvis was waiting at the door to greet them. "He shook their hands and introduced himself like they didn't know who he was. They sat on a big couch around the room for a chit-chat.

I could tell [The Beatles] were nervous. They chatted about music but after a while it was very quiet. Elvis said, 'If you guys are gonna sit here and stare at me all night I'm gonna go to bed.' They said, 'We're just nervous to meet you,' and he said, 'Don't be nervous to meet me, I'm just like you guys. I love music too.'

He was such a normal human being. He didn't want anyone to think he was special or you couldn't talk to him." That broke the silence and Elvis suggested that they play some music together, a definite common ground. (I sure wish somebody had taped that little session. Talk about a Million Dollar Quintet.)

Considering his upbringing and birthplace, he certainly wasn't born with the proverbial silver spoon. He grew up the hard way.

-- Cooter

No comments: