Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Companies That Fell in 2010

From the Dec. 16, 2010, US News & World Report "20 Companies That fell in 2010."

I'm only listing the companies I knew.

A&P--  grocery chain.  400 stores on the east coast.  File bankruptcy but plan to keep stores open.  I need my Spanish bar cake!!

BLOCKBUSTER--  video renters.  Didn't keep up with Netflix or Redbox.  I rarely rented movies.

HUMMER--  cars.  Couldn't afford one anyway and definitely not a Yuppie.

MGM--  had few recent hits.  Bankruptcy but expected to return.

MERCURY--  cars.  Not a big fan of Mercs.

MOVIE GALLERY--  Ran Hollywood Video, once the second-largest rental chain.  Closed all 2400 U.S. outlets and 19,000 workers out of a job.

NEWSWEEK--  The weekly news magazine.  I heard it went digital.  But, didn't US News & World Report do the same a few years earlier?

ORIENTAL TRADING COMPANY--  novelties, filed for bankruptcy.  The biggest bunch of cool junk on earth.  I should never look at their magazine.  Too tempted.

PONTIAC--  Cars.  And, I really miss this one.  I was a huge Firebird and Grand Am fan, having two of each.

UNO RESTAURANT HOLDING--  Owner of Pizzeria Uno filed for bankruptcy, closed 25 stores, but still operates 160.  Great pizza, but kind of expensive.  I wasn't too happy when they dropped NTN.

Some I'll Miss, Others, Not.  --Cooter

No comments: