Tuesday, May 4, 2010

40th Anniversary of Kent State Today-- Part 1


It was 40 years ago today that Ohio National Guard troops opened fire on anti-war protesters at Kent State University, killing four and wounding eleven.

The Vietnam War was the big thing on college campuses back in the late 60s-early 70s. When boys graduated high school, they essentially had the choice of two things: go to college or go to Vietnam. Some opted for a third choice to leave the US, many going to Canada or Europe.

Of course, this depended upon your draft lottery number. If you got a high number, chances were good that you wouldn't be drafted. The first year they had the lottery, I was too young and got a #31. I figured that meant that I would get a high number when it counted. Wrong. I got a #22. I had always planned on being a teacher and going to college so I didn't go just to avoid the draft, but there were many guys who did.

I was a freshman living at Lincoln Hall dormitory at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb at this time. Just about once a week, there would be an anti-war march through campus. I did not participate, nor did most of my dorm floor, but we watched. I remember once someone in the march had a Viet Cong flag and some of our guys ran out and took it.

However, when word of Kent State reached campus, things got ugly, as they did at colleges all across the United States. How dare the National Guard kill unarmed students doing a legal protest.

Marches were planned for the next day, and to say the least, things were getting tense.

Next, Violence at Good 'Ol NIU. --Cooter

No comments: