Wednesday, May 5, 2010

40th Anniversary of Kent State-- Part 2

I kept a scrapbook of clipping from the student newspaper, The Northern Star during this month, and I'm glad I did. I just wish I had also kept a journal back then.

I thought that the violence at Northern Illinois erupted the following day or two. There were marches and a renewed call to kick ROTC off campus, a continuing sore point between anti-war people and those who supported it. The fraternities and sororities in the Greek system came under fire as well for not supporting the anti-war movement.

At the time, I was pledging Delta Sigma Phi and was just about to become an active or just had. I'm not sure.

There were several marches and definitely an increased police presence on campus and in Dekalb. I can remember once going into town to Pizza Villa and as we walked around a corner, we ran into several police in full battle-garb and one had a big old tear gas gun.

Looking at the articles, the real battle didn't begin until a couple weeks later right after a visit from activist Father James Groppi from the Milwaukee Catholic Diocese.

Tomorrow, I will write down the headlines from my scrapbook.

Like I Wrote on the Cover of the Scrapbook, "The Place Went Nuts."

No comments: