Saturday, March 6, 2010

Some More on Canadian Japanese Internment Camps

I came across a site about Sandon Internment camp in British Columbia by Michael Kluckner, who wrote, "Of all the god-forsaken places to be interned, there was Sandon-- colder and more isolated than the other ghost towns of the Kootenays and Boundary County. Somehow, 933 Japanese-Canadians were shoehorned into Sandon's dilapidated buildings for the duration of he war.

"I believe this was the Buddhist interment centre: Japanese-Canadians of various Christian denominations were located at other camps."

Again, before the Olympics, I was completely unaware of the existence of Canadian internment camps. I'll have to do more research on them.

I wrote about this back on February 13th.

A sad Part of North American History, But Given the Times, Understandable. --Cooter

No comments: