Monday, March 1, 2010

Mighty Expensive Comic Books

And, my dear old dad would roll over in his grave after all the grief he gave me for wasting my money on comic books while growing up.

It was a bit before my time, but a ten cent investment back in 1938 could have gotten me a cool million buckeroos this past week. A rare copy of the first comic book featuring Superman sold for $1 million at auction. This would be the "Holy Grail" of the comic book world, the Action Comics No. 1 featuring the Man of Steel lifting a car on its cover.

There are only about 100 copies of this in existence and most are not in nearly as good of a condition. This one is rated an 8.0 on a 10.0 scale. Others, in lower scale have sold for between $300,000 to $450,000.

It was bought over the ComicConnect.com site where both seller and buyer remained anonymous. The site's co-owner, Stephen Fishler said that it is stunning to see the words comic book and million dollars in the same sentence.

Now, if my mom just hadn't have pitched out my old comic books. My favorite was Sgt. Rock and Easy Company. I also liked the Classic Illustrated ones. Sure increased my knowledge of the classics.

Wondering How Much Comic Books Cost Today. I Stopped Buying Them When They Hit 19 Cents a Copy. --Cooter

No comments: