Saturday, March 13, 2010

Maureen Ryan, the Watcher, Takes a Look Back at TV in the "Aughts"

December 18th Chicago Tribune. TV Columnist "The Watcher," Maureen Ryan wrote a column about a look back at TV in the Aughts. Some of her comments:


1. TV breaks the Box. We now have appointment TV where you can run your own network with DVDs and DVRs. Hey, what about those old-fashioned VCRs which I still use?


2. HBO's Three Davids: David Simon "The Wire'" David Chase "The Sopranos," and David Milch "Deadwood." I've heard of the last two, but don't get HBO.

3. Rise of Reality TV. Or, do you say Stupidity TV?

4. Rise of Cable TV shows. Some good shows like "Mas Men" and "Breaking Bad." I like both of these.


5. Documentary Aesthetic shows like "The Shield," "24" and "Friday Night Lights." I'm a big fan of the last two.

6. Improvisational vibe and wicked wit like "Arrested Development," "curb Your Enthusiasm" and "The Office." I like the first and last one, especially "The Office."

7. Cable shows with female leads.

8.. Crime pays like "CSI" and now "NCIS."

9. "Lost." Well, I used to like it, but finally got so confused, I stopped.

10. Great acting "West Wing" and "Friday Night Lights." When is FNL supposed to come back on?

Still Liking My TV. --Cooter

No comments: