Friday, February 27, 2015

"The Breakfast Club" Movie at 30-- Part 9: Critical Assessment and Understanding Cliques

CRITICAL ASSESSMENT

"The Breakfast Club" had a budget of just $1 million and grossed $51 million.  Not bad.  Critics gave it good reviews.  Personally, I didn't see it when it was first released because I figured how much entertainment can there be from five kids in a detention hall.  I have since come to really enjoy the movie.  I thought I had a DVD of it, but obviously do not as I couldn't find it.  If it's on TV, I'm watching.

UNDERSTANDING CLIQUES

And then there were the cliques they had back in the 80s.  They were the same as we had in the 60s and I imagine they are still around today.

Only, we had the Greasers, Surfers, Jocks, Cheerleaders, AV Club and then a big mass of just regular kids.

I guess Judd Nelson would have been the Greaser.  Emilio Estevez was definitely the jock.  Ally Sheedy would just have been the outsider.  Molly Ringwald the cheerleader and Anthony Michael Hall the regular kid.

Every group had their own tables at lunch.

However, students today still have cliques, but there seems to be more fluidity among them.

Well, I Am Going to Have to Go Out and Hit Those Wal-Mart $5 Bins.  --Cooter

No comments: