Friday, February 6, 2015

My First and Last Field Trip to An Amusement Park With Students: Battered in the Bumper Cars

A memory brought back because of the last post.

Back when I was teaching, my group of student sections went on a math/science field trip out to Great America amusement park in Gurnee, Illinois.  The park was closed as it wasn't summer and the kids were there to use math and science to determine height of rides and how they worked.  They all had work sheets to fill out in the process.

I taught social studies, but they needed chaperones, so I was essentially along for the ride. A few of the rides were open and afterwards, the kids got to spend some time on them.

One of those rides was my all-time favorite, bumper cars.  I had always considered myself as an excellent bumper car driver, able to inflict great hits on other drivers.  I got the brilliant idea that it might be fun to get on and slam into some of my students.

So, I get in a bumper car and was anxiously awaiting the electricity to be turned on.  I had several in particular in my sights.  Such was my intent, that I didn't notice that the ride instantly filled up they were all looking at me.  (No one wanted to ride on it before as it was too lame in their minds.)

The power was turned on and I went through probably the worst several hours of my life.  At least it seemed like hours.  Little did I know in advance, but when those kids saw me getting in the bumper car, they all had the same thought, "Time to get old teach!"

I was hit steadily and often several times at once.  I was battered mercilessly and they all had bug smiles on their faces.  I didn't think it was possible to get hurt on bumper cars, but I sure found out different that day.  I mean, I was sore when I got off.

Imagine getting a shot at your teacher and not getting in trouble for taking it.  And, they really wanted me to go back on it for another round.  I respectively declined.

The Hunter Becomes the Hunted.  --DaSoreCoot

No comments: