Monday, February 2, 2015

A Historic Snowstorm Yesterday: #4 Snowstorm in History

For the third day this new year, no school in Chicago and most of the Northwest Suburbs.  The first two times were because of Polar Vortex Cold, temps under zero and even worse windchills.  Today it is because of the lots of snow and blowing snow we received yesterday until the wee hours of this morning.

I went out twice yesterday and both times cleared off 6-8 inches of snow over most of the driveway.  Both times, we had a five foot wide snowdrift about 2-3 feet high at the top of the driveway by the garage.  I definitely need a bigger snowblower.

I heard several counties finally announced that they were going to stop clearing the roads until the wind and snow stopped.  Winds blew all day at  20-30 mph and anything cleared was covered within minutes.  I cleared twice because my snowblower in underpowered for amounts over six inches.

Some 19.3 inches of snow recorded at O'Hare, making this the fourth biggest snowfall in Chicago history.  The "champion" is still the Blizzard of '67.

I hope the snowmobilers and skiiers are happy.

I Hate Snow.  --Cooter


No comments: