Thursday, February 19, 2015

Don't You Forget About Them-- Part 1: "The Breakfast Club" Turns 30

From the Feb. 18, 2015, Chicago Tribune by Christopher Borrelli.

His take on the 30th anniversary of the movie "Breakfast Club."  It premiered on Feb. 15, 1985.

When I found out it just had primarily five people in it who were serving detention, I thought it would be horrendously boring.  Being a teacher, I knew what detention hall was all about.  However, I never could have imagined a teacher walking out and leaving the students to their own devices.  I supervised detentions often and never would have considered walking out of the room, but I suppose it wouldn't have been much of a movie had he not.

And then, they were all such stereotypes of high school kids.

The movie starred Judd Nelson (tough guy), Emilio Estevez (jock), Ally Sheedy (basket case), Molly Ringwald (princess) and Michael Hall (brain).  There are pictures of the five back then and now (always interesting).  Borrelli says it will be re-released in theaters March 26 and 27).

I Just Might Have to See It On the Big Screen.  --DaCoot

No comments: