Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My Old Hometown: Palatine, Illinois-- Part 1

From the Nov. 7, 2008, Chicago Tribune "Palatine growing at a comfortable pace" by Leslie Mann.

Palatine in considered to be part of Chicago's Northwest suburbs.  I lived there from 7th grade to the end of freshman year in college, the longest I had ever lived in one place before that time.  So, to me, this is still my hometown even though I haven't lived there since 1970, with the exception of living with Liz's parents for a couple months in 1973 while student teaching and looking for a job until we got an apartment in Des Plaines in August.

When we moved into the house in Winston Park, back in 1963, there were around 8,000 people.  In 2008, there were 66,820. 

The article refers to the revitalized downtown with new condos and townhouses that I don't particularly care for.  They tore down the old Durty Nellie's Irish bar to build a condo monstrosity.  And, of course, my old favorite Ben Franklin store is long-gone as are most of the stores there while I was growing up.

My old junior high, Winston Park is still there.  Some of my old high school, Palatine, still stands and is used by the police and park district, but the school itself is elsewhere.  Fremd High School (freshman year) is still there as well, but no longer surrounded by corn fields.

Our old house at 1102 Anderson Drive is still there, but now painted white.  Liz's place at 44 Patricia is still there as well.

I worked at the Burger King from age 16 (my first job) until the end of freshman year in college.  It is on Northwest Highway (US-14) by Hicks Road.  It no longer stands, but there is a popular hot dog place called Photo's on the site.

It Was a Great Place to Grow Up.  --Cooter

No comments: