Tuesday, October 16, 2012

He Almost Missed National Newspaper Week

From the Oct. 11, 2012, Northwest (Il) Herald "Smart news companies have a future" by Kevin Lyons.

Mr. Lyons had to admit, that even though he is a newspaper columnist, he didn't know that it was National Newspaper Week.  Even worse, he found out about it on a Facebook feed.  That is really sad.  These are definitely trying times for the newspaper industry.  I still prefer to get my news via the print, but so many I know, including my wife, wouldn't dream of picking up a newspaper and get all their news via the computer screen. 

If I find a great article that I'd like her to look at, I have to giver her the article title and newspaper so she can get it up on her screen.  I myself, also use computer generated news which is very necessary to expand the number of articles I can locate to write these seven blogs.

He goes on to say:  "You can find plenty of obituaries on the newspaper business, many of which date to the invention of the radio.  Of course, the industry is undergoing changes and will continue to do so, and there have been some casualties along the way.  That's nothing to celebrate."

Of course, a big problem is money.  All those people getting news without paying for it, like me.  But I do have a subscription to the Chicago Tribune and have had one for most of the last 39 years.  I did go awhile without it back when they were attacking teacher retirement and still have a love-hate relationship with the paper as it is a bit too anti-union, pro GRB for me, but I hope the day will never come when I can no longer pick up the paper between my fingers and peruse at my leisure.

I do feel that if you have a subscription to one paper that you should be able to access others on the internet as part of the package.

Don't Take My Newspapers Away.  --DaCoot

No comments: