Sunday, September 5, 2010

In Memory of Gertrude Prince Hood-- Part 2

There were lots of girls in the neighborhood. We had a good time together. Especially since all the boys had gone to war.

The girls were Rachel Hunt (Brown); Narjorie Haynes (Waters); Mary Lena Cestin (Loftin); Ruby Morris (Bryan); Nellie Edwards (Best); Memie Edwards, Fannie Edwards (Greene); Louisa Kornegay (Boney); Helen Brogden (Swartz) and Catherine Matthews (Ham).

Most of us were in school. We had parties, played Flinch and Rook, went to the movies, went to the Candy Kitchen and Williams Drug Store for ice cream sodas, rode the SummerStreet Car (open) all over the whole system for 20 cents on some Sunday afternoons and enjoyed our church activities. There was never a dull moment.

To Be Continued.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My Grandmother was Rachel Hunt (Brown) and I knew her best friend Catherine Hamm. I have been researching our family and the store on Slocomb street where my Dad - Stephen Hunt Brown, grew up. (His Dad was John Cromwell Brown)
I loved this story and printed it out!

Unknown said...

Rachel Hunt married John Brown and their Son - Stephen Hunt Brown was my Dad. He passed away in 1985 and I was researching my family for MY son and ran across this blog. I loved this story! I printed it out for my book! Thank you and if you have any more stories about my Grandmother - I would love to hear them!

Unknown said...

Rachel Hunt (Brown) was my Grandmother!!

Unknown said...

My mother grew up in Goldsboro on Rudolph St and met my father at the Candy Kitchen. They celebrate their 50th this year. I have desperately been seeking a picture of that place for years with no luck. Is there anyone out there that can help me? My email is bobteebeach@gmail.com.

RoadDog said...

My grandfather used to take us to Candy Kitchen every visit to Goldsboro. That was quite the treat. I always got the coconut squares (not sure of the name). My brother got the peanut brittle. A huge treat.

Also enjoyed going to Griffin's for bbq and on the way out we would also get a box of Chiclets at that wonderful candy counter by the check out. As a kid, I'm not sure if I liked the bbq or Chicklets better.

RoadDog said...

My grandfather used to take us to Candy Kitchen every visit to Goldsboro. That was quite the treat. I always got the coconut squares (not sure of the name). My brother got the peanut brittle. A huge treat.

Also enjoyed going to Griffin's for bbq and on the way out we would also get a box of Chiclets at that wonderful candy counter by the check out. As a kid, I'm not sure if I liked the bbq or Chicklets better.

RoadDog said...

I'll have my mom take a look at these comments.

I was born in Goldsboro and lived there until age five when we moved to Raleigh. But, I have gone back most every year since.