Thursday, September 6, 2012

Dead Page: Romper Room-- "What You Talkin' 'Bout?-- Black Businessman-- The Darndest Things-- Doc to the Stars

I am going back through some old articles and entering them in the blog.  During the week ending May 30, 2010, there were quite a few noteworthy deaths of interest to me.

From the May 30, 2010, Chicago Tribune.

BEVERLY BRAUN, 79

Former schoolteacher who hosted the children's TV show "Romper Room" during the 60s.  I seem to remember watching the show in the 50s, however.


GARY COLEMAN, 42

Former child actor best known for his role in the pipular 80s sitcom "Different Strokes."  I didn't watch it, but everyone knows "What you Talkin' 'Bout, Willis" in that particular way he said it.

RAYMOND V. HAYSBERT SR, 90

Pioneering black businessman, chief executive officer of Parks Sausage Co. which in 1969 became the first black-owned business in US to go public.


ART LINKLETTER, 97

Radio and TV talk-show pioneer known for getting the kids to "Say the Darndest Things."

I sure had fun watching that show.  There were some mighty embarrassed parents.

EDWARD A. NEWMAN, 89

Doctor whose patients included Sammy Davis Jr., Jackie Gleason, Henry Fonda and Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

There were also three deaths concerning people from World War II which I will put in my World War II blog.

No comments: