Monday, July 30, 2012

Dead Page: Mouseketeer-- Lucy

Two more deaths over this past month whose lives had an impact on me.


GINNY TYLER, 86

The "Mickey Mouse Show" was must-see TV for me growing up.  Just to see Annette was enough for me, but, I liked all of the show.  I don't remember Ginny so much, but she was a head Mouseketeer.  Afterwards, she was the voice of Bambi and on "Babes in Toyland" on Disney records.

In "Dr. Doolittle," she was the voice of Polynesia the Parrot who helped teach Rex Harrison to talk to the animals.  She was also some of the barnyard animal voices in "Mary Poppins."

Her real name was Merrie Virginia Erlandso.  Died July 13th.


BILL ASHER, 90

I was, and still am, a big fan of the "I Love Lucy" show and "Bewitched" and this man was largely responsible for them.  He directed 100 of the 186 "Lucy" shows from 1952-1957.  He also directed "Bewitched" while he was married to its star Elizabeth Montgomery.  He was also involved with the "Patty Duke Show."

He brought Sally Field to TV in "Gidget."  On the silver screen, he directed the Annette Funicello teen romps "Beach Blanket Bingo" and "Beach Party."

Thanks, Mr. Asher.

No comments: