Friday, July 27, 2012

Dead Page: Commander McHale

ERNEST BORGNINE, 95

One of my favorite actors primarily for his role as Quentin McHale commanding that zany bunch of misfits in "McHale's Navy" on TV in the 1960s.  But, he did get the Best Actor Oscar for "Marty" in 1955.  Died July 15, 2012.  As Fatso Judson, he beat Frank Sinatra to death in "From Here to Eternity."

From 1935 to 1945 served in US Navy and was on a destroyer during World War II.

"McHale's Navy" ran from 1962 to 1966 and was patterned after "Sgt. Bilko."

Captain Bimington Never Caught Him.  --Cooter

2 comments:

Empoprises said...

A few days ago, NTN Buzztime presented a question about McHale's Navy. Because I have never watched the show, I was unable to correctly answer that McHale's people manned a PT boat.

I guess I need to watch more TV.

RoadDog said...

His was a real zany crew.