Saturday, July 28, 2012

Dead Page: Funk-- Deep-- Queen

While looking through the Yahoo! obituaries, I came across the names of two people I'd never heard of before, but whose music I greatly enjoyed.  Also, there was a woman who was called the Queen of Country Music that I had heard of, but for only one song, but, what a song that was.

What they had in common was that all died July 16th.


BOB BABBITT, 74

Was a studio musician for Motown and a member of the Funk Brothers who backed up so many of those great Motown singers and groups.  Some of the 200 Top 40 songs he played on were the Temptations' "Ball of Confusion," Marvin Gaye's "Mercy, Mercy Me (Ecology Song)," Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered,"  Smokey Robinson's "Tears of a Clown" and Edwin Starr's "War."

If there is a bigger Motown fan than me, I'd like to know.


JON LORD, 71

British keyboardist and member of Deep Purple and later, Whitesnake.  Co-wrote one of my favorite songs ever, "Smoke on the Water."

I am still a big Deep Purple fan and liked some of Whitesnake's songs.


KITTY WELLS, 92

Called the Queen of Country Music after she became the first female to have a #1 song on the Country charts, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels."  Inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1976.  Her most success was in the 1950s.

This was the only song of hers I am familiar with, but what a song!!

Gone, But Not Forgotten.

No comments: