Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mom's Life: In Honor of Mom's 81st Birthday-- Part 1

My mother, Barbara Hatch, turned 81 yesterday. She has been after me to type up her memoirs for quite some time. I haven't because I need to learn how to use the word processor on this (if that is what you call it).

I could type it up here, though. My cousin's daughter says she will put it onto a computer, but until she does, here is the first part of what Mom wrote.

She started writing this in 2005.


MY LIFE

I was born on a Sunday on September 14, 1930, at 504 North Jackson St. in Goldsboro, NC. Dr. Will Spicer delivered me. I weighed six pounds.

I was supposed to be born around the middle of October, but mother was having a difficult time having me.

My brother Billy, William Graham Hood, Jr., weighed 11 pounds and Mother, Minnie Gertrude Prince Hood, was a small woman (never weighed over 115 pounds).

My brother David McKinne Hood was born ______ and died in mother's arms on ______ of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Daddy, William Graham Hood, Sr., was 35 when I was born, and was so glad to have a daughter, he paid the doctor twice what he asked and this was during the Great Depression.

More to Come.

No comments: