Friday, September 2, 2011

The End of Borders

By now, I suppose the last of the last Borders Book Stores are closed. The Big Box book retailer announced that they were closing their last 400 stores back in July.

I had just found a $25 gift certificate Liz had gotten me (when the McHenry Borders store was still open) and I now had to use it fast. We went to the Borders in Algonquin (or Lake-in-the-Hills) and it was chaos with all the people cashing in on the reduced prices (not much at the time, mostly 10% off).

Then, there were lines, which went fairly fast. I wouldn't have gone in, but again, I had to use up that gift card.

The 24,000 square foot McHenry Borders store closed in March and still sits empty. The sign is still there and I miss it whenever I drive by. I used to like going in there and previewing CDs and sitting down to look at books to make my selection.

These stores may have been Big-Box, but they also had the small bookstore feel in them. And, they were one of the few businesses who appreciate teachers. At least twice a year they had educators days with at least 25% off on most all items.

Of course, new technology killed the chain off as well as some mistakes taken by CEOs. And, we all know the CEOs left with lots and lots and lots of money. In the meantime, how many regular folks lost their jobs?

And, where were all those deal seekers when the stores could have used their business. What we have are carrion picking over the bones.

Sure Gonna Miss Them. --Cooter

No comments: