Saturday, April 3, 2010

One of the Last Surviving Black World War II Submariners

From Channel 13 WJZ, Baltimore, Maryland.

Arthur Brown, 82, falsified his age as 18, when he was actually 17 to go to war. "Well, I wanted to help win the war, you know. Young guys like excitement. That's why I went into the service."

He served aboard the USS Narwhal, SS-167, commissioned in 1930.

He had hoped to be on a large ship like a battleship, but ended up in the Silent Service. "They needed 'em right away and that's how I got put on a submarine. I went down there and didn't see no battleship and I told the guys I didn't want to get on a submarine. They said, 'It's too late now; order's been cut. You get on.

He served on the Narwhal for more than a dozen missions in the Pacific and Alaska and left the Navy as a Petty officer 3rd Class.

Two of the Narwhal's six-inch guns are on permanent display at the Naval Submarine base at New London, Connecticut.

There is a book titled "Black Submariners in the United States Navy 1940-1975" by Glenn A. Knoblock.

You Don't hear Too many Stories About Black Submariners. --Cooter

No comments: