Saturday, April 17, 2010

Like I Was Saying...Why It Takes So Much Time to Do These Blogs: Fort Douglas, Utah

Alright, I had to do some research on Fort Douglas. It was established to protect the Central Overland Road in 1862 as Camp Douglas, three miles east of Salt Lake City. The name came from Stephen A. Douglas, at President Lincoln's insistence. In 1878, the name was changed to Fort Douglas, which it remained until it closed in 1991.

During World War I it was used as an internment camp for Germans living in the US (I didn't know we had internment camps in World War I). German Naval personnel from the raider SMS Cormoran (never heard of this ship either, something else to look up).

Between wars, it was the home of the 38th Infantry. During World War II, it became an Army Airfield, home of the 7th Bombardment Group (B-17s).

It is now closed, but a group is running it as a museum.

Stuff I Didn't Know. --Cooter

No comments: