Monday, July 27, 2009

The Last Tommy: Harry Patch, 111

The July 26th London Mail Online reported the death of Harry Patch. As I said, I was going to do on update on the four remaining World War I veterans Saturday, when I could only find the names of three on the Wikipedia list of World War I veterans still alive. Mr. Patch not among them. He had died that very same day.

This was the first obituary I could find.

He was a former plumber, a front-line machine-gunner at age 18. Passed away peacefully in his sleep at the nursing home in Wells, in his native Somerset, surrounded by family and friends.

He had been Britain's oldest man for 7 days, after another World War I veteran and good friend Henry Allingham (who was also the world's oldest man for a month) died at age 113.

The only surviving British military World War I veteran now is Claude Choules, 108, who served in the Royal Navy and now lives in Perth, Australia.

The Noblest Generation.

No comments: