Friday, July 3, 2009

The Reason for 4th of July

The vote was taken to declare the Independence of the colonies. It was not signed on this date.

These men were facing really bad times should the effort be defeated by the the British and all had lots to lose, including their lives if captured by the British. Treason, after all, carries a death sentence. And that is exactly what these men were doing in the eyes of the British.

Voting for it was one thing, but putting your name on the document really put your neck out there.

My sister sent me an e-mail telling what became of those 56 brave souls which would seem very appropriate for this time of the year.

Personally, I don't think I would have been brave enough to vote for independence and definitely would have thought twice about signing it. Mighty brave men in that room that day.

As my Uncle Bo said, "Freedom ain't free."

Flying My Flag With Pride. --Cooter

No comments: