Friday, October 9, 2020

If It's Not Tonsils, It's Polio in DeKalb County in 1920 and 1945

 From the August 12, 2020,  MidWeek  "Looking Back."

1920, 100 Years Ago.

"Tonsil cases at the hospital occupied a great deal of the time of the attendants this morning because of the fact that there were four who had their tonsils removed instead of the usual one or two.

"The children having the occupation performed were Waite Embree, Evelyn Hiland, Marian Miller and Lilea Miller.  All of the children are doing nicely  and will be able to go to their homes this evening."

I had my tonsils removed  when I was child.  That was so mean, they promised me ice cream but my throat was too sore to eat any of it.  I screamed for ice cream.

1945, 75 Years Ago.

"The DeKalb Lodge Loyal Order of the Moose has purchases a portable  iron lung from the Portable Life Saving Company of St. Louis, Mo.  The new equipment is now at the fire station, where every member of the department will be taught how to use it."

The portable iron lung was used to treat cases of polio.

That Promising Ice Cream That You Couldn't Eat Was Not Nice.  --DaCoot


No comments: