Thursday, March 19, 2015

"Saturday Night Live": The Chicago Connection-- Part 1

From the Feb. 15, 2015, Chicago Tribune "Saturday Night" specials.

In regards to the NBC special for the show's 40th anniversary shown that night.  Each year of "Saturday Night Live" the show's talent scouts and Lorne Michaels have come to Chicago to look for the next performers.  Not everyone from Chicago has found big fame, but many have.

I used to watch it whenever I wasn't out in the 70s, and in the 80s, 90s and oughts I was usually deejaying so didn't get to see it often  Now, however, its late night slot means I'm asleep by the time it comes on.

Here are some of the Chicago Connections and years on the show:  THere are many others listed, but I didn't really know them.

GILDA RADNER (1975-1980)--  "Baba Wawa.  Died of cancer in 1986.

DAN AYKROYD (1975-1979)--  One of the show's biggest breakout stars.  from canada.  member of the Blues Brothers.

JOHN BELUSHI ( 1975-1979)--  Chicago's Billy Goat tavern sure thanks him.  "--but Belushi created a veritable river of comic brilliance during the short flame of his life and career.  Wheaton never had a funnier son."  I'm still mad at him for killing himself.  I could only imagine how much more fun I could have had.

--CooterBlutoFan.

No comments: