Friday, October 17, 2014

October 17, 1994: Day One of the Round Lake Teacher Strike-- Part 1

Taken from my journal.

"Up at 5:30 a.m. as was Liz.  Crete-Monee district is on strike as well.  Rain showers this morning--great day to strike!  I was amazed at how much traffic was on the road by 6:30 (as I drove from Spring Grove to Round Lake).    It was slower-going than it is at 7:30.  The rain increased in intensity the whole way.

"I parked at Cedar Foods on Cedar Lake Road and crossed the road.  I was completely taken aback to find I had entered a battle zone.  An orange snow fence barricade stretched from the Cedar Lake Road entrance all the way to the Hart Road entrance at Magee Middle School where I taught.  It then continued from the other side of it to where it met the new fence.

"No trespassing signs were at the Presbyterian Church so the enemy must have gotten to Lisle K., the preacher there.  All along the orange fence were red signs reading 'Entry Upon These State Supported Land Is Forbidden.  Violators Will Be Arrested And Prosecuted.'

In addition, there were police squad cars at both entrances.  I'm thinking, 'Welcome to the Magee Police State headed up by Commissar Hult!!'

"I took a solitary position at the Hart Road entrance to Magee until about 7:45 when I was joined by others."

Looking back after all these years, the last time I saw such a police presence was back in 1970 during the Kent State riots at Northern Illinois.  Only back then the police were in full  riot gear and had tear gas guns.

More to Come.

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

As a retired teacher and head negotiator I'm looking forward to learning of your experiences. I can tell already my own experiences on pickets lines in Minnesota while very stressful were nowhere near as harsh a scene....