Tuesday, July 1, 2014

So Much For the Lime Shortage

Two months ago, I was hearing all about the price of limes going up drastically where a combination of weather and disease has sent supply plummeting and prices sky-rocketing.  I'd have a hard time drinking my Corona without a lime, same with margaritas, plus, I am fond of limes (or lemons) in my cola products.

I even saw limes at a buck apiece a few times, but prices have dropped to normal now.

From April 21, 2014 Time Magazine.

AMERICANS ARE EATING MORE LIMES THAN EVER:  .  In 1983, it was .45 lb. per capita. In 2013: 2.96 lb. per capita.

97%: Percentage of limes the U.S. gets from mexico.  Guatemala, which accounts for about 1.5%, is the next biggest source.

AVERAGE RETAIL PRICE OF A LIME:  Up 133%.  April 2013 it was 24 cents each.  April 2014, 56 cents.

$71.36: Average price of 40-lb. box of limes as it eneters U.S. from mexico.  In February, it was $18.25.

Love My Limes.  --DaCoot

No comments: