Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Fox Lake Fireworks-- Part 3: A Fireworks Tragedy

One event that wasn't so much fun took place during the 1956 fireworks dispaly.  Most people today, don't even know about it.  And, piecing together the story is not an easy task.

In 1956, the American Legion Post 703, to which I belong as a Sons of the American Legion member, was staging their annual celebration on its grounds on Nippersink Lake by Riverside Drive and US Highway 12.  A train hit people standing on the tracks to view the fireworks and three were killed and five injured.

Fox Lake Fire Protection District Chief Ron Hoehne, said, "I wasn't born until 1955, and it was before my time but I remember the stories, hearing about it...such a shame, and sad tragedy.  My father (former Fox Lake Fire Chief Stu Hoehne) joined the force in 1957 and he related it to me.  It was similar to the other account."

Next, the Other Account.

No comments: