Tuesday, June 24, 2014

50th Anniversary of Ford's Mustang-- Part 1: Sporty and Affordable

From the April 6-12, 2014 American Profile magazine "Run Pony, Run" by M.B. Roberts.

Sadly, my parents did NOT buy me one when I turned 16.  Might have been something about my trials and tribulations learning how to drive.  Sorry, Dad.

On April 17, 1964 Ford's new Mustang car was rolled out and became an instant hit.

Jay Leno was just 13 (I would be a little over a month later) and remembers, "The Mustang was sporty and European looking.  And it was affordable."

That "affordable price" had a lot to do with it.  Just over $2,000 (less than today's down payment for most cars) for a bare-bones model.  And, there were not a lot of add-on options such as a radio (I would have had to add that as I can't drive without my tunes), power steering or air conditioning.

These new cars were termed "Pony Cars" and had GM scrambling to come out with its own "Pony Cars" which hit the market in 1967: the Firebird and the Camaro.

First the Beatles, Now This.  --Cooter

No comments: