Friday, June 6, 2014

Born and Razed: Chicago's Comiskey Park-- Part 3: What I Lost

However, when they tore down the old Comiskey Park, among things that were lost was the site of the first All-Star Game in 1933, Negro league games, Beatles concerts and the first exploding scoreboard as well as the Go-Go Sox, the 1919 Black Sox and Disco Demolition Night.

I myself lost my first-ever major league baseball game site, Milt Wilcox's near perfect-game for the Tigers in 1983, the only foul ball I ever caught hit by Don Baylor off Britt Burns, sitting in the outfield for the 1983 All-Star Game, the 1983 Sox, the 1983 playoff games when my heart was broken when Tito Landrum hit that home run in the 11th inning to close out the Sox season.

Then, there was my all-time favorite Sox team in 1967 as well as my second favorite one from 1983.  Then, there were the drives to Comiskey and rehashing the games going back home with David and later Pudge (we had bought 20-game ticket packages for the 1983 season so we could be guaranteed seats for the All-Star Game.

And, I always prefer to save something as oppose to tear it down. My own thought was that Comiskey was not beyond saving, but Reinsdorf had let the park go for too long.

Anyway, No More Old Comiskey Park.  --DaCoot


No comments: