Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Florence Green Dies: Last World War I Veteran


Actually, this happened February 4, 2012. Florence Green died at age 110, just 15 days before her 11th birthday and is thought to be the last living person to have served in the Great War (World War I). She was just 17 when she joined the WRAF (Women's Royal Air Force) and served as a mess steward (waitress) at RAF Marham and RAF Narborough bases.

I carefully followed the last survivng World War I veterans as they died. The last-known combat veteran, Claude Choules died in Australia in May 2011 at age 110. The last three veterans living in the UK were Harry Patch, Henry Allingham and Bill Stone who all died in 2009.

The last living World War I veteran in the United States was Frank Buckles. You can see what I wrote about these people by clicking on the labels of their names.

No comments: