Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dead World War I German Soldiers Found-- Part 3


The remains of the soldiers were handed over to the German War Graves Commission and then given to relatives if they can be found. Otherwise, they will be buried at Illfurth.

Underground tunnels like the one they were buried in could shelter 500 men and had 16 exits for safety. The French attacked the shelter March 18, 1918, and used aerial mines that penetrated the ground and blasted in the side wall in two points. I'm presuming an aerial mine would be dropped from a plane, but not sure why they weren't referred to as bombs. I couldn't find out anything about French World War I aerial bombs.

There are still thousands of Allied and German soldiers missing from World War I. It is estimated that over 165,000 Commonwealth (British and their colonies) personnel who are still unaccounted for from the war.

No comments: