Monday, September 30, 2013

Back to Those German World War I Soldiers-- Part 1


Last week, I wrote about the 21 German World War I soldiers who were buried in a tunnel during the war, whose bodies were found back in 2012. While doing some more research on them, I found out that they had been buried this past July 2013.

From July 23, 2013, Fox News "95 years later, 21 World War I soldiers laid to rest."

The burial came 95 years after the Armistice took effect ending the war. These 21 were given a full military burial after their bodies were found near Carspach in France's Alsace region along what was World War I's Western Front.

Their skeletons were found in a nearly perfectly preserved shelter. Archaeologist compare the find to Pompeii with the bodies in the exact same positions they were in when the tunnel collapsed after a direct Allied artillery hit.

The bodies were interred Wednesday at Illfurth Cemetery in an event attended by 150 French and German dignitaries, veterans and serving soldiers.

Efforts were made to contact living relatives, but none of the ones contacted were able to attend.

No comments: